The Great Hall


Present day


Click here to enlarge image


The great hall of the original Elizabethan house reached only as far as the upright columns supporting the ceiling between the stairs in the photo. Beyond this was a small open courtyard sheltered on the north and south sides by the two projecting wings of the house.

1930


Click here to enlarge image


The hall was extended in two phases. At first a single storey was built to fill in the open courtyard in the 19 th century. The upper storey was added during Parr’s time to create a grand double-height entrance hall overlooked by a gallery on the landing above. He also added the new entrance doors and internal storm porch. The twin staircases are in a Jacobean style of the 17 th century with twisted balusters. They were probably introduced by Parr as part of his alterations to the hall, but there is uncertainty about the extent to which they are 17 th -century originals brought from elsewhere or whether they are later reproductions in a historic style. They have certainly been heavily altered to fit the space, and they are not symmetrical.

×
-->
×