When the house was occupied by Airspeed aircraft designer Leonard Metcalfe between 1946 and 1958 he used this room as a workshop. He converted the adjoining room which had been built by Revd Nugée for his religious community into his motor garage.
This room is one of several added to the Elizabethan manor by the Revd George Nugée when he lived here between 1859 and 1872. Nugée was vicar of Wymering and Rector of Widley. He was a controversial figure and was fond of elaborate rituals. He established a religious community for young men in the manor house and it is likely that this room would have been used for their religious training. In Parr’s time this room provided a grand space for music and entertainment. He entertained Queen Mary here when she visited Wymering in 1929.